Friday, April 18, 2008

The Closer(s)

Before I start, one of the most important moments of my life took place this morning. I was watching highlights of the Padres/Rockies 22 inning game and Grace walked into the room. She pointed to the TV and said, "Baseball!" I could not have been a happier or prouder Dad! We got her...a baseball fan for life!!

Now moving on to much less important topics. I was glad to see the Sox get a much deserved victory last night against the Yankees. Manny was fantastic and Beckett was on his game. In the 9th inning Paps came in and was not sharp. I am not worried about him at all but it leads me to a question. Is it a good idea to bring in Closers when it is not a save situation? Closers are one of the most interesting breads of athlete. They are creatures of habit, superstitious and usually a bit of their (John) rocker. When they come into a game and their team in up by 4 runs or more, does this mess with their psyche?

No comments: